Communities from across Canada are rallying behind the Boat to Gaza. An effort of this magnitude will take all of us, and there is a role for everyone as this exciting project unfolds.
Our pan-Canadian committee is moving quickly to make the Canadian Boat to Gaza a reality.
The international community believes that, at this time, we can achieve the most impact in our goal of breaking the siege by sending flotillas in partnership with the Free Gaza Movement. We plan to sail with the next international flotilla — with boats from USA, South America, and Europe — in late fall of this year.
We are building momentum and gaining support, with diverse communities from across Canada rallying behind our project. An effort of this magnitude will take all of us, and there is a role for everyone as this exciting project unfolds. Here are seven ways you can get on board the Boat to Gaza.
1. Donate money to the project. We need to raise $300,000 across Canada. In London, Ontario, our local organizing group hopes to raise $50,000. This conservative estimate will allow us to buy a boat, purchase insurance, registration, flagging, port and docking fees, fuel, crew, etc. We also welcome donations of material aid.
2. Attend fundraising initiatives that will be happening in your community, and encourage your friends and neighbours to do the same.
3. Endorse the project, either as an individual or organization.
4. Help us educate and raise awareness of the issues by talking, writing letters to the editor, and speaking up.
5. Write to your politicians asking them to endorse our project.
6. Help us name the boat! Submit your suggestion here.
7. During the actual mission, help us disseminate information.
Together, we can break the siege.
David Heap and Wendy Goldsmith are activists based in London, Ontario, working on the Canadian Boat to Gaza.