LIBERATION and RETURN: The Conference of Palestinian Shatat in North America
May 3-5, 2013
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, Unceded Coast Salish Territories
As we approach our 65th year of exile from our homeland, the need for Palestinians in the shatat (diaspora) to reinvigorate, develop and carry out an effective strategy for our national movement for liberation and return is as urgent as ever. For too long our voices have been excluded and the majority of us have been unrepresented in the decision-making and direction of our movement.
We call on all Palestinian activists, organizers and community members in the shatat to join us in this historical gathering to re-examine our history and build together towards a free future for our people and land by putting an end to Zionist colonization and normalization everywhere throughout the Palestinian and Arab homeland.
Join us to plan, discuss and learn from each other about our homeland and how we can become active participants in reviving our movement. The conference will include facilitated workshops, plenary discussions, conversations, and presentations – it welcomes your participation, your voice, and your active involvement in reclaiming the voice of the shatat.
At a time when Zionist colonization continues its incessant destruction and exploitation of Palestine and our people, our body-politic remains fragmented, with empty, unrepresentative and often corrupt national institutions and leadership, and a clouded vision of how to move forward towards our national aspirations for return and liberation.
This conference aims to work towards: restoring our people’s morale and commitment to our national struggle for return and liberation, reviving our transnational unity and building our national liberation movement despite our geographical dispersion, and overcoming the current impasse of national fragmentation (socio-economic, political, geographic and ideological).
- Read and support Conference Principles of UnityUnderstanding of conference objectives
- Commitment to developing and implementing a long-term strategy of our role as Palestinians/Arab in North America for return and liberation
- Accountability, transparency and respect for the democratic decision-making process
- Actively participate during conference and follow-up
- Give direction, purpose, and relevance to our national movement
- This conference prioritizes Palestinian and Arab participation